Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review of "The Outlaw Album" by Daniel Woodrell

A collection of short stories that is disturbingly beautiful. These pieces are raw writing at its most haunting and brutal. "The Echo of Neighborly Bones" made me ache and "Uncle" made me cringe. The shortest stories, "Florianne" and "Two Things" took my breath away. It is simply dazzling to see a writer create an entire world, engulf the reader completely, and be able to accomplish this is less than ten pages.  "Woe to Live On" made me uncomfortable in my desire to keep reading. When an author can elicit all of these emotions in a mere slim collection of short fiction, you know that he is golden. Read The Outlaw Album at your own risk, but if you are willing to dance along the edge, then be prepared to fall tragically in love with Woodrell's words.

1 comment:

  1. I love Daniel Woodrell - I'm not usually a short story fan but I love this collection. All his books are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!