Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Review: "Modoc" by Ralph Helfer

This book is so much more than "just" an animal book, or even a book about the relationship between animals and humans. This is a book about friendship at a deeper level than most people will ever experience love. Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant that Ever Lived, by Ralph Helfer, is transcendent. There are circuses and wild adventures- so wild that at times I had to stop and remind myself that yes, this is all true- and the reader will ultimately be whipped through a range of eviscerating emotions, but at the deepest core of the story is the simple, and profound, connection between two beings, two souls- a boy and his elephant, an elephant and her boy. I read Modoc many years ago and yet I still carry the story with me. I am reminded of it whenever I encounter something sublime, something perfect and unexplainable, because after reading Modoc's tale I know that the impossible is possible and the mysteries of the world do not have to be understood, but, rather, simply appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. It’s with humble gratitude that I thank you for the gracious words written in your review.

    Were humans of your kind to come together they could change the earth to what it should be.

    Blue skies,

    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. It is an honor to hear from you!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!