Thursday, May 30, 2013

Television and Writing

I don't really have too much extra time to sit around and watch TV, but let me tell you, when I do get into a show, I Really get into a show. And by Really, I mean eight/nine/ten hours-straight season marathons. And hands down, the best shows have the best writing. Fantastic actors and intuitive directors and ingenious premises are all pluses, but I believe that what absolutely makes or breaks a television show is the writing: insane plot twists, gorgeous dialogue and most importantly, characters that are either so believable, or so otherworldly, that I can't help but fall head over heels in love with them.

So, here is my short list of the best shows on television, the ones I can watch over and over and always find something to keep me watching yet again:
     Justified
     The Wire
     Dexter
     Deadwood
     Carnivale
     Homeland

I'm sure this is a very incomplete list and as soon as I post it, I'm going to hit myself in the forehead because I'll realize that I've left out some of the best ones, so I'll put the question out there to you all so we can add to the list: what are the best television shows, based on the quality of the writing? *Bonus Points for Explaining Why and Convincing Me to Watch!*




    

10 comments:

  1. My favorite right now is Shameless. It goes to some pretty dark places, but still makes me laugh. That's tough to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you brought up "Shameless." It's a show I've always wanted to watch, but was never quite sure about. If it comes with your recommendation, I definitely want to see it!

      Delete
  2. I have to agree that Justified is up there at the top but I'm sticking with Person of Interest too since the idea of a machine that can catch threats is intriguing and the acting is always good. And no way can I forget The Big Bang Theory which has to be the best comedy written ever. To have four such diverse male characters all as geeks struggling to overcome the blocks in the road to romance ( except Sheldon of course) is hilarious. The script is fabulous and the delivery fantastic.
    I also watch re-runs of the early Law and Order shows which are really gritty and have great storylines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Person of Interest- sounds interesting. And I agree with you on the old Law and Order shows. I love to watch the re-runs of SVU on Netflix.

      Delete
  3. Justified and Dexter are the two on your list that we watch in our house. I hear Homeland is great. I do agree with LDP about Person Of Interest. Its a good show, great writing and acting. The Killing on AMC is pretty good. It is like watching one long movie and they do a great job with it. It has all of your requirements.

    Michael Edward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Killing has been on my list to watch for this summer. I like how you describe it as one long movie- I had wondered about the structure of it from the previews.

      Delete
  4. Ack! DEXTER...bitter sweet. We're granted an early season (beginning June 30th), yet it is the last. {heavy sigh}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dexter books are great too, if you haven't checked them out yet. :)

      Delete
  5. Justified is so good. The whole Drew Thompson thing from this past season is based on a true story/person (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_C._Thornton_II). There's a book about it all called The Bluegrass Conspiracy - definitely recommended if you like the show.

    BBC America is coming out with some pretty solid shows. Both Ripper Street and Copper are written really well. I'm big fan of Mad Men as well. Hell, I think I'd just watch it for how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justified is my absolute favorite and I appreciate the book recommendation! I am definitely going to check it out! I'm also thankful for the BBC recommendations- I've been meaning to check out Ripper Street for some time.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!