Sunday, July 28, 2013

Birthdays and Writing

Today is my birthday and I tend to liken birthdays to new year's eve- I always like to look back over the past year, reflect, and then think about what I want the coming year to be for me. What are my goals, my dreams, my intentions? How do I want to carry myself and perceive the world around me? Most likely, these ideas don't change much from year to year, but I like to think about it anyway. I believe that staying true to yourself also involves sifting through layers of yourself and not being afraid of being open to change.

Of course, this also applies to my identity as a writer. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the story, in the words, in the process, and not reflect on the direction. Today is also a day to think about how I write, why I write and where do I want my writing to take me. I'm not sure I have all the answers yet, but in seeking I find comfort and a measure of peace. Perhaps those are the very things that keep me going when the writer's block hits, when the doubt creeps in and when success, or even sanity, seem a very small light in the darkness.

So here's to a year that is like water- always moving, always changing and always constant.

 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. Penblwydd Hapus.
    Let's Hope the coming year is an excellent one for you. xx Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!