Friday, July 19, 2013

Book Review: "The Ice Master"

So I'm still on a non-fiction kick and one of the best narrative non-fiction books I've read this year is Jennifer Niven's The Ice Master. Even if you don't usually read non-fiction, or don't care about artic exploration or ships or explorers with a desire to do the impossible, this book will capture your attention. Because this is not a book about discovering a new continent, or breaking records or even succeeding (there's a reason the subtitle of the book is "The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk"). This is a story about survival. It is the story of the endurance of the human spirit- what it means to be alive, and what it means to Want to be alive. It is harrowing, it is heartbreaking, and it will have you holding your breath until the last page.

2 comments:

  1. I do read non-fiction, and you have got me hooked on this book. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!