Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gratitude and Writing

I just finished reading this year's Pulitzer Prize winning novel The Orphan Master's Son and aside from being one of the most incredible books I've ever read (book review coming next), it has really opened my eyes to just how lucky most of us are. That's not to discount all of the trials that everyone I know and you know and we all know encounter, but reading a book about life in North Korea definitely made me check myself for a moment. Every light switch we flip on, every Starbucks coffee we order through a drive-thru window, every clean pair of jeans we pull from the dryer is something to be thankful for. This is by no means a pretentious sentiment or call to action: I'm still going to get annoyed every time the internet goes down or the interstate on-ramp is backed up or my neighbors decide to start pressure washing their house during the exact time I've allocated for writing. We're human; it's in our nature to take for granted what we are fortunate enough to have. That being said, and in the sprit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to nod to a few things, both large and small, serious and trifle, that I am grateful for:

-My amazing husband, my mom and my brother
-My incredibly yappy and non-listening pack of dogs
-Gluten-free products available in the grocery store (yay Bisquick!)
-A job that I love
-Florida weather
-Books, movies and television shows that take excite me or take my breath away
-Coffee
-My friends, both close and afar
-Free time and the inspiration to write, keep writing and write some more

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!