Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Reading Lists and Writing

I looked at the bookshelf next to my bed last and realized that I'm currently reading three vastly different books at the same time: The Maltese Falcon, The Dog Stars and The Last of the Mohicans.

Underneath this stack were the two most recent books I've finished reading: Allegiant and Sea of Glory.

Other books I've read recently include: Under Heaven's Banner, Last Train to Paradise, The Maid's Version, Salinger, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Wiseguy.

Aside from making me feel better about being addicted to The Walking Dead (see "Zombies and Writing"), I started wondering what my current choice in books says about me as a person and as a writer (which are pretty much impossible to separate, so....). A girl in Barnes and Noble the other day asked me what types of books I like to read and I wasn't sure how to respond. Basically I answered "good ones."

So what does my reading list say about me? I tried to break it down to see.....

Hmm.....

Noir Bird
Apocalyptic Airplanes
Frontier Americana
Dystopian Teen
Exploring Ships
Psycho Religions
Maniacal Trains
Southern Fire
Disturbed Recluse
Psychological Well
Honest Mobster

Yeah, hmmm.... if anyone wants to take a crack at what these books say about me, I'd love to hear it. Please leave your ideas in the comments. And if you happen to analyze your own reading lists and come up with something conclusive, I'd love to know about it as well. Happy Reading!


4 comments:

  1. Most people who read for the enjoyment of reading find a genre they like and stick to that, only venturing out on occasion. You are unusual in the choices you made.
    I am not sure what that says about you other than you do something most of us don't. Then again, you are an English teacher. Maybe your niche is the good book one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the "good book niche" idea. And congrats on your latest release, by the way! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks as if you like to keep up with all the options available in the world, and outside the world! I've never been a genre-centered reader, and I always go for new writers if I can. The main thing our lists have in common, is the variety:>)
    Happy eclectic reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!