Monday, January 20, 2014

Satisfaction and Writing

5 months, 327 pages, 99,000+ words; I was understandably nervous when I sat down this weekend and began to read the first draft of my latest novel. I don't know if this common or not, apparently Hemingway did the same thing so it can't be completely crazy, but I don't go back and read what I write until it's completely finished. I write from the first word to the last, straight through, no looking back.

For me, there's no other way to do it, but it does create some anxiety when the time comes to hit print, settle down with a two inch stack of paper and try to put myself into my reader's shoes. What if it doesn't make sense? What if the style is terrible? What if the characters on the page don't reflect the characters in my head? What if *gulp* I'm disappointed?

Fortunately, my reaction to this novel couldn't be farther than these vestiges of doubt. I love, love, absolutely am in love, with this manuscript. I feel no shame in bragging now, because I know that over the next three months of revisions and edits I will beat myself up and knock myself down enough times to balance out the elation I'm currently riding on.

But for now, I'm reveling in the satisfaction that can only come from having an artistic vision and realizing that, yes, it's going to be everything you wanted. And more.

6 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration, and I'm so proud of you! I can't wait to read my signed copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! I totally understand - that first read is beautiful and terrible all at once. How long do you wait between finishing the writing and reading it that first time? Cheers to you, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam. I usually try to put aside the first draft for a month before reading it (and I write straight through without going back to read any), but this time I only waited 2 weeks. My writing process is evolving with every novel... :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks guys! I appreciate the continued support. You help keep me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You motivate me to want to be a better writter...which is like saying a better me. Thanks and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you- for being so awesome. Just don't forget about me when you're famous! Everyone needs to be on the lookout for you...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!