Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Stress Relief and Writing

I have honestly never thought of writing as being therapeutic. I know that flies in the face of what most people believe about writing, but, well, I'm used to being  unconventional- even when it comes to writing.

I mean, sure, I've written vicious journal entries that probably saved jobs and relationships and my sanity, but I've certainly never thought of writing as relaxing. I barely even think of writing as fun. Going to the beach is fun. Binge watching 12 hours of Sherlock or Justified is fun. Watching my dogs act ridiculous is fun. But writing? Writing is like breathing for me. No one really thinks of breathing as fun... It's something you have to do to stay alive. This is how I feel about writing.

But lately I've noticed something about myself. Perhaps it's because I'm out-of-my-mind stressed at work right now, or maybe it's something else entirely, but the only thing that's been able to lift me up and calm me down after a hellish week is spending 10 hours a weekend working on my latest book. 

Maybe it's still like breathing, except now I'm swimming up from the depths for air....

At any rate, I still don't think I'll ever think of writing as relaxing, but I do have a new  found appreciation for it being the force that keeps me from going over the edge.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to the evolutionary process you've experienced. Writing was more of a hobby for me for around twenty years. I wonder what would have happened had I dove into it completely earlier on. That's why I envy you and many of the other younger Pandas. What wonderful futures you will have if you keep at it - which I know you will. Personally, I have fun writing. I don't consider it work and I don't think I ever have. There are times when I don't feel like doing it but that's more like I'm tired of that story right now let's work on something else. I keep at least two and usually three things going on int eh background. I find that fights what others call writer's block. There is a routine to my writing. A specific time I do things. So it is structures far more than it used to me. I won't say it has kept me sane but I am functional because of it. At some point a writer has to make it a career to evolve completely, I think. You may die poor or be successful. According to what I;ve heard from others who took the leap of faith there is nothing much between in that extreme case. This who have a full time gig out of necessity have to survive and/or keep a family going. They have no choice. I've come to the point of believing in my ability enough to make a go at it. The safety net is gone, the ships are burned along wight he bridges. There is not going back. That's not to say I won't have to find some part time gigs here and there to keep things going between books, but I'm a full time writer and have been for a couple of years. And yes, it is not easy when things aren't selling. But this feels like what I need to do and everything else I have done before this was intended to get me to this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elgon, your work ethic is so inspiring. I'm so glad to have met you through Pandamoon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!