Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Conversation with Rebecca Lamoreaux

Rebecca Lamoreaux is one of the coolest authors I know. She is an extremely talented author in her own right, and yet always goes out of her way to help other writers- to encourage them and to help promote their work. This week, I was lucky enough to sit down and have a conversation with her about her upcoming novel Lord Hyancinthe.

Rebecca Lamoreaux
http://rebeccalamoreaux-anauthorinprogress.blogspot.com/

Lord Hyancithe


While most of England’s upper class young ladies are busy plotting their next ball or beau, nineteen-year-old Lady Vivian Thorpe is plotting the downfall of a traitor to her country. Her target is none other than Lord Terrence Hyacinthe, the man whose life was saved by Vivian’s own father. This very debt allows Vivian entrĂ©e into Lord Hyacinthe’s home where she sets about finding the evidence she needs to prove his guilt.
Her duty to her country leads Lady Vivian into an unexpected marriage, a kidnapping plot, and attempted murder. From being shot at to being soundly kissed, Vivian encounters every possible barrier as she attempts to discover Lord Hyacinthe’s treachery—or his innocence. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle…for both of them. Forced to discover the truth together, they don’t know who is the enemy and who is the ally. But what they do know is that someone must be hung for treason.

Steph Post: So just to start, I have to tell you- Vivian is my favorite girl's name of all time! That alone makes me want to read your book. How do you choose your characters' names?
Rebecca Lamoreaux: Ironically it was from another story I read where there was a set of twins set in the same time period as my book, and one of the twins was named Vivian. I think it was the first time I had ever encountered that name and I adored it! That was probably 15 years ago. So when this story started forming that name just felt right and since I loved it, I used it. I felt like it fit the character.
SP: What exactly is the time period setting for "Lord Hyacinthe?"
RL: Approximately 1812. Regency England time period at Lord Hyacinthe's estate.
SP: How much research did you have to do before writing? Where did you even start?
RL: I started in library, pulling out books from the basement sections for research about housing, clothing, every day events, what was expected by society, etc etc. Then I read lots and lots of novels from the same time period and did more research online. I cannot tell you how much research I did because I had to constantly return to double check information before and during the writing process and the rewrites.
SP: Your book sounds like it has so many thematic elements- romance, action, history- what genre would you classify in it? And do you consider yourself a genre writer?
RL: The book was classified as Historical Romance, and I think I am a genre writer. I tend to stick to the genre of historical, specifically regency, romances.
SP: Do you find the writing process easy? Difficult? Nerve-wracking?
RL: It's usually pretty easy! I just write what comes to mind and I see the story in my head as I go. However, I really struggle with the sagging middle of the book. Then it's nerve-wracking! And the endings are always difficult for me too.
SP: How long did it take you to write?
RL: I was writing bits and pieces, a scene here and there, on and off for probably 9 years. But when I decided to sit down and just go for it, I pulled it all together in 1 week (and basically didn't sleep). Then I let it sit for 2 months and then rewrote it in about a week again.
SP: Whoa! Crazy! What's the one thing that you want readers to walk away from you book with?
RL: Don't let a stereo type determine what you are. Don't let people assume you can or can't do something. You know your own limits and your own abilities better than anyone else. Despite what people expect you to be, it's OK to be different and yourself. And of course, not judging before you know the facts.
SP: Love it! This makes me want to read it even more..... But for now- onto the favorites! So, favorite non-Romance writer?
RL: I really like Robin McKinley - she rewrites fairy tales, and of course I am a huge fan of J.K. Rowling. I have recently also discovered some wonderful books by author Janette Rallison which are extremely humorous and really delightful. She writes young adult and teen fiction.
SP: I'm right there with you on J.K. Rowling! Next.... Favorite movie adaptation of a book?
RL: BBC's 5 hour adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" featuring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.
SP: I haven't seen it, but I love BBC productions- I'll have to check it out! And so finally, just for fun, favorite flavor of ice cream?
RL: Rainbow sherbet!
SP: That's just so you!  Well, to wrap things up, when can I get my hands on "Lord Hyacinthe?"
RL: September 30, 2014.
SP: And where can readers find out more about you and get in touch?

Thank you so much to Rebecca Lamoreaux for taking the time to sit down and talk with me. Please be on the look out for Lord Hyancinthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!