Thursday, March 27, 2014

Obsession and Writing and Alice





I can't remember the first time I read Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. I think I might have actually read Carroll's Alice's Adventures Under Ground (the early manuscript that eventually became the Alice books) before ever delving into the books themselves and this backwards way of approaching the stories definitely seems fitting. I do also remember being very, very young, watching Disney's version of Alice in Wonderland and being terrified. This terror is most likely what made Alice have such an impact on me. Instead of being able to brush off Alice as another blond poster child for Disney, I was intrigued by my terror. And that intrigue has followed me throughout my writing career.... 

I've written about Alice many times and in many different genres. My undergraduate final project was a collection of poems that began with the journey of Alice (the quintessential undergrad falling down the rabbit hole) and two years ago I wrote and presented a paper on gender role reversal in Alice at a national academic conference. Alice has been my muse in so many ways, from poetry to analysis to an unconscious underlying theme in my novels (it seems that all of my characters are always lost....). 

And then there's the rocking horse fly tattoo, of course- to deviate from the obsession with Carroll's words alone....

At any rate, whether it's collapsing under mounds of research notes or permanently marking my skin, Alice has most certainly dictated many parts of my life. And in some ways, I will always be lost, but, like Alice, I will always confront the conundrums and absurdities of life head on. 



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading Through The Looking Glass. I suppose it has also influenced my writing. In one of my books, there is a device that the government pays to have build that effectively negates the electromagnetic fields of the Earth and thereby opening dimensional portals. The Government project is called Looking Glass. I did a paper on Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson). He had a brilliant mind and experimented a bit with opium. I found it interesting that he was one of the first photographers. His influence on literature, especially fantasy, was profound. Though it was unintentional, I was flattered when some of the beta readers of Fried Windows compared parts of it to Lewis Carroll's masterpiece. I hope the finished product is worthy of the association.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was already super excited to read Fried Windows, but now I am even more! I'm so glad you understand and can relate to my fascination with Alice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!