Thursday, March 6, 2014

Obsession and Writing and Benedict Cumberbatch

(In case you're curious, this post is an extension of an earlier post, Obsession and Writing, so there will be more to come)

To his fans, (and trust me, there are rabid legions of them) the words Obsession and Benedict Cumberbatch go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Whether you know him as Sherlock or that evil dude from Star Trek or that crazy happy guy whose photobomb at the Oscars was the night's most documented event, you know you love him. He's quirky-sexy, he's badass-vulnerable, he's got those eyes.

And while I chime in wholeheartedly with all of those distinctions, the number one reason I'm obsessed with Benedict Cumberbatch can be traced back to a similar reason for why I am so obsessed with writing: the characters. I love to write because I love to create characters; I love to live inside the heads of people who are nothing like me and divulge their stories. And if you're looking for an actor who can play any character, and make you believe that he is that character one hundred percent, you can stop looking once you've found Cumberbatch.

Unlike some iconic actors, such as Harrison Ford (who I'm not knocking- he was my elementary school crush!), Cumberbatch is not Cumberbatch on screen. Where as Harrison Ford is ALWAYS Harrison Ford- on a spaceship, in the jungle, in a race car, saving the world, whatever- Benedict Cumberbatch IS Sherlock Holmes or Stephen Hawking or Christopher Tietjens or Julian Assange or Smaug. He IS dying of cancer or on the run from the government or dealing with his insane brother who is sleeping with his wife. Cumberbatch becomes the characters he plays so fully that if you watch two of his films back to back it's easy to forget that he's the same actor.

Not so easy once you've become obsessed with him, of course.....


2 comments:

  1. I agree whole-heartedly. I first saw him in the newest Star Trek, but then stumbled into Sherlock and I'm a huge fan already. He is, to put it bluntly, yet with a fine tip brush, an actor. I have found that those actors raised in the English theater are somewhat more accomplished at their craft. Patrick Stewart is very accomplished, but I believe Cumberbatch is overall better in fully becoming the character.

    A lot of it has to do with direction as well, and the Sherlock folks are putting a clinic on. I'd love to see Cumberbatch do a dark forceful role such as Kevin Spacey's House of Cards character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Cumberbatch in a role like that! I'm sure he could do it... if you see him in a film like "Wreckers" (indie film from a few years ago), you realize that he can do Anything and pull it off well.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!