Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Obsession and Writing and Camille Rose Garcia

Hands down, Camille Rose Garcia is my favorite artist of all time (I even have a piece of her artwork tattooed on me...) and here's why:


I'm not exactly sure when and where I was when I first discovered Garcia's work, but I can remember the feeling I felt. Like someone had reached deep down into my subconscious and dragged out everything that I loved and feared, everything that moved me, and then captured all of those feelings in paint. It was intense, slightly disturbing and ultimately thrilling. I felt like I had been in love with Garcia's artwork forever. 


And while I neither read nor write fantasy, I definitely feel that Garcia's work has had an influence on my writing. Her work is dark, brutal and yet whimsical. She explores the depths of what people want, what people need and what is ugly about humanity. But there are also so many beautiful messages of hope. She's not afraid to cross lines and blend conflicting ideas for the sake of the image and for the feeling she wants to convey. I would like to believe that in a way, I do the same with words. 


If you like these pieces, please check out more of Camille Rose Garcia's artwork at
www.camillerosegarcia.com


4 comments:

  1. Some of her stuff reminds me of Dali. Great article. And by the way, I'll covert you to a fantasy reader. My story lines are flipped over and turned sideways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Fried Windows! I used to read fantasy a long time ago, so I'm interested to see some new work in the genre.... :)

      Delete
  2. I love the video of her take on snow white. Her work is really interesting. Thanks for sharing! And what piece do you have in tattoo form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I have a big leg piece of one of her deer. I love it- I need to post a photograph....

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!