Tuesday, April 15, 2014

T-Shirts and Quotes and Writing

"If I start counting down from ten, I may lose patience at five." -Ava Crowder



So I was late to the faculty meeting this afternoon and when I rushed in, steeling myself to be bombarded with information about testing, testing and more testing (it is testing season after all), I was confronted by something very unexpected: T-Shirts. And glitter. And sequins. And puff paint.

I'm feeling a little lost at this point (as in, time travel lost- bedazzling? really?), so I ask a fellow teacher what in God's name we're doing....

And apparently we're making informational and inspirational T-shirts to wear as a sign of encouragement to the students. I'm supposed to come up with something motivational. My first idea? Spray paint and an anarchy symbol.

Yet there is no spray paint (though plenty of neon fabric markers!) and I am told that my idea won't work anyway because I need to put a quote on my shirt. Something directed at the students. And my first idea on this front?

"You ever hear the saying, 'You ran into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.'?" -Raylan Givens.

Probably not school appropriate....I needed to think deeper, more philosophical, anyway. I'm trying to inspire the next generation.  How about...

"You pick the devil you run with." -Mags Bennett
or
"Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner." -Boyd Crowder
or
"I believe you dictate the river of truth through your own actions."- Also Boyd (yeah... I'm a little biased)

Again, though, not exactly motivational. These won't get the kids hyped up about their education. Then I really think I've got it:

"Put your foot down, Dewey Crow!" - Boyd Crowder





I'm actually considering this one (most people at work won't get it until I tell them it's from Justified, and then they'll nod and give me that weird "oh I forgot, she's obsessed" look before they quickly walk away), when, alas, I am then informed that the quote on my shirt also needs to be related to my content area. I teach writing. My quote needs to be about writing...

Not. As. Fun..... *sigh*

But this whole experience got me thinking... If you had to have a quote to live by, motivate someone, or at the very least, Sharpie onto a T-shirt, what would it be? What words have impressed themselves upon you to the point of memorization and recitation? Who has said something better than you ever could?

I'd love to know.... Please comment below and share!

(And for the record, I decided to go with "If it sounds like writing, rewrite it."- Elmore Leonard. I opted out on the glitter, though....)




8 comments:

  1. I'll give you 2. Firstly...I've always found this quote to give me...well....hope. "Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies" it's from Shawshank Redemption which is probably really cliche for any dude around my age to pick from. The other was from my dad, who was our baseball coach. He always said the key to winning at anything in life is to "Play harder...longer"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong with anything written by Stephen King... :)

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites sayings is by Victor Kiam: Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now this would be a good one to motivate my students! :)

      Delete
  3. My favorite short writing quote has always been: "Do not come lightly to the blank page," because it got me right in the gut the first time I heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know." From Papa Hemingway, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love Hemingway's quote of "Write drunk. Edit sober." Keeping that in mind every time I want a glass of wine while I'm proofreading...

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!