Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Gratitude and Writing

So, a very long time ago I started telling stories. Then one day, I decided "I'm going to be a writer!" (Having no idea what that actually meant) I went on to high school and wrote some poems that got me into college, where I wrote some short stories that landed me a daring career as a waitress and bartender, where I listened to other people's stories and eventually decided to go back to grad school, where I wrote a novel for my master's thesis, but fell in love with teaching, so I became a teacher and then, one day, two and a half years ago I decided, "okay, now I'm not just going to be a writer. I'm going to be an author" and I started writing the book that was signed last year and published today, yes today: A Tree Born Crooked. 

And that's how it happened. 

And it couldn't have happened without so many people along the way who not only supported me and encouraged me, but who never let failure be an option. Who would not ever let me even consider the idea that I would not achieve my dreams. From my best friends whom I've known and for the past 15 years to the authors I've just met only this summer, from professors to punk rockers, students to co-workers, all those that I have loved, both alive and looking down right now- you have all lent me a tremendous strength that I am extremely grateful for.  

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 


                           
(And yes, today I am a total cheeseball. And I'm okay with that...I can be cool again tomorrow...)











4 comments:

Thanks for your comments!