Saturday, November 29, 2014

Home... and Thankful

 

I have spent the last week driving all over the Southeast so I missed getting in a Thanksgiving post. Which is fine, because Thanksgiving is pretty much my least favorite holiday. For a gluten-free vegetarian, the food isn't all that exciting (yay! more salad!), and although the past few years haven't been a problem, I have plenty of stressful memories of Thanksgiving (and Christmas...) as a child. It always rains on Thanksgiving, the color scheme is awful, the social-political implications, etc. etc. I'm more of a Fourth of July kind of girl. You know, summer, fireworks.... fun stuff.
 
That doesn't mean that I'm not a thankful person, though. Some days the gratitude welling up inside me almost hurts. There are times when I'm so thankful that I'm alive, that people I know are alive, that it seems almost unbearable to think about. (I know, I'm weird- this is why I don't write about emotional things here)
 
But in the spirit of thankfulness (and in being extremely thankful that I, and the dogs, are all home now) I'd like to make a few mentions-
 
I am thankful for dogs. (could you guess?) But seriously. There have been times when I'm pretty sure Vito and Lucy have been responsible for saving my life. (again, dispensing with the emotional bullshit) I don't understand how people can not share their lives with dogs. Having dogs is the most natural thing in the world to me. More natural than having children. Although picking them all up from the kennel today, by myself, in my little Suzuki, was not the most fun. Still, they are home now. And happy. Asleep and curled up around me, apparently having forgiven me for leaving them. Dogs are pretty much the greatest thing ever. Ever. So I'm thankful.
 
I am thankful for my husband, Ryan Holt, who puts up with me. (see, he even has to deal with being listed After the dogs..... though if he reads this, he won't he surprised) I am not easy to deal with at times. I'm a writer, for Christ's sake. If you are one, or have ever loved one, then you know what I'm talking about.
 
I am thankful for my family, who is equally as crazy as I am. (this incudes my in-laws, who are also nuts and most likely the best in-laws on the planet)
 
I am thankful for the readers who support me in buying my books, reading my work and giving me reason to keep writing.
 
I am thankful for my fellow writer friends (most of whom I've just met recently), who keep me motivated, stable and able to keep the roller-coaster ride of being published in perspective.
 
I am thankful for my students, who keep it fresh, and my faculty, who keep it real.
 
I am also thankful for nachos and cheese fries. Because otherwise, there would be no joy in the food world for me.
 
I am thankful for books, ideas, art, compassion, television shows and films that stretch my mind and inspire jealously (which inspires motivation), mentors, being healthy, friends and the choices and chances that have allowed me to have the life that I do.
 
So thank you.
 
 
 






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!