Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book Bites: January Recommended Reading

In an effort to keep up with all of the books and authors that I love and want to share with the world, I'm starting a monthly series with bite-sized book reviews. Here goes January....


 
Fallen Land by Taylor Brown

http://www.amazon.com/Fallen-Land-Novel-Taylor-Brown/dp/1250077974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453321944&sr=8-1&keywords=fallen+land
 
Taylor Brown's Fallen Land is the first novel I think I've ever read that I believe really and truly is following in Cormac McCarthy's footsteps. A story of love and war in the South, Fallen Land is stylistically gorgeous and thematically sweeping. A true gem. Check out my interview with Taylor as we discuss research, craft and how to really feel the land you're writing about. Available now.
 
 
Rift by Kathy Fish and Robert Vaughan
 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0996352600?keywords=rift&qid=1450453644&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

 
An incredible collection put together by two masters of the flash fiction craft. Poetic, experimental, at times heartbreaking and at times delightful, Rift offers deep insight into the power of the moment. Read my dual interviews with Kathy Fish and Robert Vaughan to learn more about creating flash and collaborative collections. Available now.
 
 
Sex and Death by Ben Tanzer
 
http://www.sunnyoutside.com/releases/079/o.html


So far, my favorite Tanzer collection. These short stories will surprise you, unsettle you and play with your relationship to the story itself. Check out my full review over at Small Press Book Review and then read my crazy interview with Ben Tanzer. Available now.
 
 
Brown Bottle by Sheldon Lee Compton
 
https://sheldonleecompton.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/early-praise-for-brown-bottle/


Brown Bottle is a raw, gritty novel that doesn't mess around. Sheldon Lee Compton's prose is powerful and precise and his Appalachian anti-heroes are authentic and unforgettable. While you're waiting for the book, be sure to check out my recent interview with Sheldon. Available early February 2016.
 
 





1 comment:

  1. Steph thanks so much for mentioning my book! I truly truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!